Wednesday 29 June 2011

The Battle of the Termites

The Battle of the Termites!
One afternoon last week it had been raining and raining, real Kenyan style. But we were fine as were indoors and planning some of our lessons for this week. Later on in the evening the rain had stopped, so we went for supper. On our return we decided to watch a film on the laptop before heading off to bed. I was just shutting down the laptop as I noticed a termite flying by, flapping around and making lots of noise. I didn’t think much of it. The next minute there was two of them, then three, then four. I quickly retreated to my room for insect repellent – spraying them over and over didn’t seem to do much, if anything it just made some of them stick to the floor. They continued to multiply by the second, ten, fifteen, twenty! I shouted to Paul who was in bed by this time, he was not impressed and thought I was exaggerating. I wasn’t. There was that many of them by now that we couldn’t go out our rooms without getting attacked by them. There must have been a minimum of 50 of them flapping around. Paul finally got out of bed to see what was going on, upon opening his door he was also attacked by them. “Ahhh! Josh what have you done!?” Still Paul did nothing to help, he just closed his door and returned to bed. After a good hour of spraying what must have been the whole bottle of insect repellent, I decided to arm myself with a flip flop. It was good baseball practise! I stood in the doorway swinging at any termite that came near. VICTORY! At last!
Although when I finally got in to bed I realised that the best option would have been to just turn all the lights off and go to bed in the first place. Aww well, my way is much more fun!

1 comment:

  1. G'day Mate

    Hows the N/W coming along? Got any budding students that would like to try for you or is it a bit of a spaghetti; unbalanced loads; nodes that keep appearing and dissappearing; voltages not clapming and your getting brown-outs.....yep....seen it all before. So, in the end, think simple, bit of luck and a fag packet for a drawing will get you through! Dont try and kame it fancy....that's for next time!

    Weather is freezing here in comparison to you. We've been at ~ 24C for a few days, but cloudy and hi humidity. We're in desperate need of a down pour, BUT nothing like what is needed in KENYA I heard this am on the BBC WS!!! Worrying for those families that live there!

    Oh and yes - Termites.....BORAX OR BORASIC ACID IS TOXIC and is used when you have found evidence of WHITE ANTS (Termites) you combine 1 part Borax to 5 parts Blood and Bone, sift together well and put on the White Ant trail, The White Ants take it back to the QUEEN and they all die!

    TTFN. S.

    ReplyDelete